To apply for a new membership, please fill in the ISAE membership application form
Current members can renew their membership online or contact the
ISAE is the leading association for people interested in the behaviour and welfare of confined or domesticated animals, including companion, farm, and zoo animal species!
There are nearly 700 members worldwide and each year the Society assembles for a major International Congress, where in addition to addresses by special keynote speakers, members present their latest research findings. There are also regular regional conferences held to encourage local knowledge exchange.
Membership benefits include:
- Discounted registration fees for international and regional congresses
- Members are eligible to apply for support to attend congresses
- Discounts for subscriptions to the society's affliated journal, Applied Animal Behaviour Science
- Bi-annual Newsletter
- Access to a members-only online forum to discuss advances in science and education
- Access to a members-only area of the website, including our searchable members database and photo gallery
- Eligibilty for ISAE Awards
- Help with English scheme
Student members receive additional benefits:
- Student members are eligible for financial support and travel awards to attend congresses
- Further reduced congress attendance fees
- Eligibilty for student poster competitions at congresses
To become a member of the ISAE, you need to have a scientific background in animal behaviour or associated disciplines (e.g., veterinary science, biology, behavioural ecology). This requirement ensures that the ISAE remains an independent scientific society with a basis in ethology.
The current annual membership dues are £35 for regular members or at a reduced rate of £15 for students (please send proof of University Registration) and for retirees. Dues can be paid by credit card, money order, or by cheque. Fees can be reduced or waived for members who may have difficulty paying or who are from countries where payment may be difficult. For more information contact the or a regional secretary near you!
If multiple members from the same institution would like to pay as a group, ISAE is able to accept group payments through the webshop or via bank transfer.
If group payments are made through the webshop, please send an email to the with a list of members that are being paid for and the member that is making the total payment so accurate updates can be made to the membership database.
In order to invoice your institution for group payments via bank transfer, we need the following information:
1. A list with all the members included in the payment
2. The type of membership requested for each member (full or reduced rate)
3. A list of members requesting access to AABS and the type of access (hard copy or online)
Once we receive this information we will be able to send you an invoice with the total amount owed. When making a bank transfer, please clearly state the institution name (or the name of the administrator the invoice is sent to) to avoid confusion and delays in processing payments.
Applications for membership are put before ISAE Council on a regular basis. Once membership has been approved, payment should be made as soon as possible.
ISAE requires that applicants agree to abide by a "Code of Conduct" to become a member of the Society. The Code of Conduct stipulates:
1) ISAE is an independent body and acts to provide impartial scientific information.
2) The name and / or membership of the ISAE must not be used to promote personal and / or organisational views and philosophies, unless directly ordered / permitted to do so by Council.
3) The name and / or membership of the ISAE must not be used for financial and / or commercial gain, unless directly ordered / permitted to do so by Council.
4) Members must not act in any way likely to jeopardize the integrity of the Society or bring it into disrepute.
Failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in termination of membership of the ISAE and the forfeiture of any membership fees previously paid.
Signing the ISAE membership application is your acceptance to abide by the ISAE's Code of Conduct and your statement of understanding that if you do not, this may result in termination of your membership with no possibility of reinstatement.
10 February 2006