Funding Opportunity (Purina)
Purina Sponsorship For Human-Animal Bond Studies
The PURINA SPONSORSHIP FOR HUMAN-ANIMAL BOND STUDIES provides research funding to applicants affiliated with (but not limited to) universities, foundations, charities, and NGOs. Applicants may request up to $30,000 USD per proposal.
Purina wishes to receive research proposals in the following areas:
- Benefits of adopting shelter pets and of volunteering at pet shelters
- Pet and human physical health and well-being
- Pets and child/adult literacy
- Animal-assisted therapy to destigmatize mental health
- Pets in abusive relationships and the impact of allowing pets at domestic violence shelters
- Therapy dogs and youth struggling with physical, emotional and mental challenges
- Pets and youth: self-awareness and empathy development, and stress and emotion management
- Pets and post-traumatic stress disorders, phobias and anxiety
- Using pets in counseling/therapy setting
- Pets helping hospitalized patients and the homeless
The 2022 Purina Human-Animal Bond Sponsorship program will follow this time schedule:
- Announcements and rules for the sponsorship program will be communicated in April of 2021.
- Application deadline for 2022 sponsorship program ends on July 15th, 2021 at 11:59 pm US Central Standard Time.
- Applications will be evaluated in September of 2021.
- Contracts for allocated sponsorships will be signed in the Fall of 2021.
- Fund allocation will begin following individual project requirements once the contracts have been signed (early 2022).
- Fund allocation will be completed after review of the final project reports.
- All studies are expected to be completed by December 2023.
Apply for Membership
There are nearly 700 members worldwide and each year the Society assembles for a major International Congress, where in addition to addresses by special keynote speakers, members present their latest research findings. There are also regular regional conferences held to encourage local knowledge exchange.