Chief Executive and Scientific Director
Humane Slaughter Association (HSA)
& Universities Federation of Animal Welfare (UFAW)
Application deadline: October 7, 2019
UFAW was established in 1926 and is now internationally recognised as the key independent scientific and educational animal welfare charity. It promotes high standards of welfare for farm, companion, laboratory and captive animals. More information about the charity and its activities is provided at www.ufaw.org.uk.
The HSA, founded in 1911, is the only UK charity concerned exclusively with promoting the humane treatment of food animals worldwide in markets, during transport, at slaughter, and when killed for welfare reasons or during disease control. It fulfils its mission through research, education, advice, training and technical advances. More information about the charity and its activities is provided at www.hsa.org.uk.
We are now looking to appoint our next Chief Executive and Scientific Director to build on the excellent work of the current incumbent, Dr Robert Hubrecht OBE, who after many years is retiring. Working in partnership with the Board and a talented and committed team of staff based in Wheathampstead (Hertfordshire, UK), his replacement will ensure that the work of both organisations continues to flourish and develop both in the UK and internationally, with science at the core of all that is done.
The new Chief Executive and Scientific Director will lead and promote UFAW and HSA by funding, cultivating, promoting and disseminating animal welfare research of international significance. They will work with energy, pace and promote the excitement needed for this next stage of our Organisations’ work. Key points of the role include:
- Together with the Chair, and members of the Board setting the strategic direction for UFAW and HSA respectively
- Ensuring that both charities are resourced to deliver their charitable objectives and to bring to the Board an annual budget for agreement and manage the budget throughout the year
- Leading, developing, motivating and directing the staff within UFAW and HSA
- As the Scientific Director, ensuring that grants are awarded in accordance with best practice; all programmes, all meetings and events are of the highest quality; all research publications are of the highest standard and by acting as Editor in Chief for the journal ‘Animal Welfare’.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, animal welfare science
- Experience of fund raising
- Wide practical experience and a proven record of working with animals
- Some knowledge of farm animals, companion animals, animals used/bred for experimental purposes and zoo/wild animals
- Ability to communicate effectively with scientific and lay communities
If you feel you have the skills and energy to provide the above, please click on the link below and apply quoting reference S0701 following the full application instructions in the candidate brief by Monday 7 October 5pm.